OdduWon
Oct 22, 10:00 AM
im wondering, if it is that big of a screen and that slim, how long can the battery last?
eah thats why the back is a giant solar panel :cool:
eah thats why the back is a giant solar panel :cool:
nvjusme
Jun 16, 08:53 PM
Best Buy has officially stopped preorders.
PODshady
Nov 14, 11:57 PM
I guess this Firmware update isnt for my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
MacRumors
Apr 27, 09:01 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-hints-at-future-turn-by-turn-gps-directions-with-traffic-for-iphone/)
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2010/12/17/170847-ios4_maps.jpg
As part of its Q&A regarding location tracking posted earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-officially-addresses-location-data-controversy/), Apple discloses that it is currently collecting "anonymous traffic data" from users' devices with the aim of providing an "improved traffic experience in the next couple of years".What other location data is Apple collecting from the iPhone besides crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data?
Apple is now collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic database with the goal of providing iPhone users an improved traffic service in the next couple of years.That traffic experience would presumably be built on top of a turn-by-turn navigation system separate from the Maps application included in iOS and driven by Google.
In November an Apple job posting (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/27/apple-to-take-iphones-maps-app-to-the-next-level/) described an iPhone engineering position that would help take Maps "to the next level". The company followed that up last December, with a set of four job listings (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/17/apples-ios-engineering-jobs-emphasize-navigation-software-experience/) seeking iOS engineers with experience in developing navigation software, further fueling speculation that Apple is working on its own navigation system.
On a broader scale, Apple has increasingly looked to beef up its own mapping and geolocation services in an attempt to distance itself from Google, which has provided the core Maps application for the iPhone since the device's 2007 debut. Apple acquired mapping company Placebase in July 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/30/apple-acquired-mapping-company-placebase-in-july/) and followed that up by purchasing small Canadian mapping firm Poly9 one year later (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/14/apple-acquires-web-mapping-firm-poly9/). Apple also moved its location services for iOS in-house (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/30/apple-moved-location-services-in-house-with-ipad-and-ios-4/) with the release of iOS 3.2 on the iPad in April separating itself from Google and Skyhook Wireless for such services.
Google has offered free turn-by-turn navigation on Android since late 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/28/google-introduces-free-gps-navigation-for-android-2-0/) and had hinted at that time that it could bring the service to iOS, although the company later backpedaled (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/23/questions-arise-over-googles-plans-to-bring-free-turn-by-turn-gps-navigation-to-iphone/) from those claims.
Article Link: Apple Hints at Future Turn-by-Turn GPS Directions With Traffic for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-hints-at-future-turn-by-turn-gps-directions-with-traffic-for-iphone/)
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article/2010/12/17/170847-ios4_maps.jpg
As part of its Q&A regarding location tracking posted earlier today (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-officially-addresses-location-data-controversy/), Apple discloses that it is currently collecting "anonymous traffic data" from users' devices with the aim of providing an "improved traffic experience in the next couple of years".What other location data is Apple collecting from the iPhone besides crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data?
Apple is now collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic database with the goal of providing iPhone users an improved traffic service in the next couple of years.That traffic experience would presumably be built on top of a turn-by-turn navigation system separate from the Maps application included in iOS and driven by Google.
In November an Apple job posting (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/27/apple-to-take-iphones-maps-app-to-the-next-level/) described an iPhone engineering position that would help take Maps "to the next level". The company followed that up last December, with a set of four job listings (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/17/apples-ios-engineering-jobs-emphasize-navigation-software-experience/) seeking iOS engineers with experience in developing navigation software, further fueling speculation that Apple is working on its own navigation system.
On a broader scale, Apple has increasingly looked to beef up its own mapping and geolocation services in an attempt to distance itself from Google, which has provided the core Maps application for the iPhone since the device's 2007 debut. Apple acquired mapping company Placebase in July 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/30/apple-acquired-mapping-company-placebase-in-july/) and followed that up by purchasing small Canadian mapping firm Poly9 one year later (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/14/apple-acquires-web-mapping-firm-poly9/). Apple also moved its location services for iOS in-house (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/30/apple-moved-location-services-in-house-with-ipad-and-ios-4/) with the release of iOS 3.2 on the iPad in April separating itself from Google and Skyhook Wireless for such services.
Google has offered free turn-by-turn navigation on Android since late 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/28/google-introduces-free-gps-navigation-for-android-2-0/) and had hinted at that time that it could bring the service to iOS, although the company later backpedaled (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/23/questions-arise-over-googles-plans-to-bring-free-turn-by-turn-gps-navigation-to-iphone/) from those claims.
Article Link: Apple Hints at Future Turn-by-Turn GPS Directions With Traffic for iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/27/apple-hints-at-future-turn-by-turn-gps-directions-with-traffic-for-iphone/)
mdntcallr
Aug 17, 04:46 PM
getting the option to rent movies on itunes will be great. hell even to rent with a burn to disc option would be even better.
I'm happy apple is moving in this direction. however. need them to offer laptops with 160GB hard drives. so we can travel with a whole bunch of movies and tv shows on the hard drive when we are on the go.
yeah i know it's alot of room, but some of us have tons of aac/mp3 files.
I'm happy apple is moving in this direction. however. need them to offer laptops with 160GB hard drives. so we can travel with a whole bunch of movies and tv shows on the hard drive when we are on the go.
yeah i know it's alot of room, but some of us have tons of aac/mp3 files.
phoobo
Apr 29, 02:56 PM
...Che Guerva and his ilk, who would not and could not deliver an innovative device like an iPhone at a price for the common man
Neither can Apple, by the way.
But thanks for that insight, I didn't realize Che was working on a mobile device. But you can rest satisfied in the knowledge that you gave about 25 editors of a major national weekly newsmagazine their laugh of the week.
(It's "Guevara," actually, but I guess it's all relative.)
Neither can Apple, by the way.
But thanks for that insight, I didn't realize Che was working on a mobile device. But you can rest satisfied in the knowledge that you gave about 25 editors of a major national weekly newsmagazine their laugh of the week.
(It's "Guevara," actually, but I guess it's all relative.)
ivladster
Apr 13, 02:41 PM
I just love how consistent Apple is with all of their software. It brings the ease of editing from Logic and iMovie. This is gonna be such a deal breaker!
Super excited!
Super excited!
flyfish29
Aug 9, 01:02 PM
I still can't play the video. This is pissing me off. Are that many people still watching this thing?
Well, you sure are trying to so I would guess others are. I would guess many people are rewinding parts, reviewing parts, and some like tried to wait until most had viewed it like you- It is good that so many people are trying to watch this thing- but isn't good apple can't keep up with demand on their servers/bandwidth I finally got to watch it yesterday and actually had to keep rewinding parts as I missed things when my kids woudl come up to me and chat about something.
Well, you sure are trying to so I would guess others are. I would guess many people are rewinding parts, reviewing parts, and some like tried to wait until most had viewed it like you- It is good that so many people are trying to watch this thing- but isn't good apple can't keep up with demand on their servers/bandwidth I finally got to watch it yesterday and actually had to keep rewinding parts as I missed things when my kids woudl come up to me and chat about something.
GatorsFan
Jun 11, 05:26 PM
Best Buy hasn't officially said anything about how the pre-order process will work or when it will start, but im sure they will announce something before the 15th.
Well, they certainly should. Can't believe such a mega-retailer's missing out on the opportunity. I think even Wal-Mart's taking pre-orders (tho' I'm not sure, really). Ask you phone department manager. FWIW, I'm pre-ordering at AT&T on Tuesday (15th), or maybe the Apple Store if they have the same pickup-with-no-waiting-in-line policy.
Well, they certainly should. Can't believe such a mega-retailer's missing out on the opportunity. I think even Wal-Mart's taking pre-orders (tho' I'm not sure, really). Ask you phone department manager. FWIW, I'm pre-ordering at AT&T on Tuesday (15th), or maybe the Apple Store if they have the same pickup-with-no-waiting-in-line policy.
SMM
Oct 25, 02:26 PM
Xserve lags so far behind the Mac Pro in release, costs much more, has little to make it better and just as much to make it worse. I would love to have an Xserve, but I don't understand why anyone would buy one.
Do a little research and you will find this is a incredibly well engineered server. I have read a couple reviews and it looks like it will be a big hit with IT pros. That may not be easily understood, or appreciated by others.
Do a little research and you will find this is a incredibly well engineered server. I have read a couple reviews and it looks like it will be a big hit with IT pros. That may not be easily understood, or appreciated by others.
ghostlyorb
Apr 26, 08:15 PM
He couldn't wait to get home to take the picture? Seriously. Put the stuff down and drive. He deserves a ticket.
Looks like stop and go traffic to me.. but yes, don't take pictures and drive! ha
Pretty sure he's in a parking lot and parked, buddy.
hey Buddy.. it looks like his speedometer doesn't say 0..... so maybe it's not a parking lot. And from the position of the car to the left.. it's not a parking lot.
Looks like stop and go traffic to me.. but yes, don't take pictures and drive! ha
Pretty sure he's in a parking lot and parked, buddy.
hey Buddy.. it looks like his speedometer doesn't say 0..... so maybe it's not a parking lot. And from the position of the car to the left.. it's not a parking lot.
daveman235
Apr 5, 08:04 PM
God No!!!!!!
zim
Mar 24, 11:48 AM
I ordred mine Saturday morning (day after launch) and am still waiting, as are others, hopefully this will make the ship dates be the minimum listed time and not the max... don't want to wait till the 7th of April :(
bdj21ya
Oct 18, 06:55 PM
Note that I'm not arguing pro-video iPod, but I don't think it'll matter if people return their 5.5G iPods. The Apple Stores will charge a restocking fee (probably 10-15% or something) and turn around and sell it open-box for 5-10% discount, which equals free profit of roughly 5%.* Meanwhile, everyone who returned theirs for the sake of getting a video iPod will then turn around and spend $xxx on top of that. So Apple isn't losing money, but instead gaining free profit on open-box resales.
*Disclaimer: I don't claim to know what rates Apple may or may not charge for restock, or deduct for open-box. It's simply a commonly-used tactic: charge a relatively small restock fee then sell discounted to consumers who think they're getting a good deal.
So free-profit would be an acceptable exchange for "all the time" spent returning iPods. And let's be honest, here: We've all been to Apple Stores. We know how many employees they have working at once. A BOATLOAD. I can hardly go in to browse without being attacked by half an army of Apple Store salespeople. The worst part is that they assume I'm an uninformed Windows user when in reality, there's a good chance I know more about the Mac than they do.
Anyway, this still doesn't mean I'm convinced that Apple will release in December. Let's just say it gets here when it gets here.
-Clive
I think that for the most part people would be returning unopened iPods. Do you open your gifts before giving them?
*Disclaimer: I don't claim to know what rates Apple may or may not charge for restock, or deduct for open-box. It's simply a commonly-used tactic: charge a relatively small restock fee then sell discounted to consumers who think they're getting a good deal.
So free-profit would be an acceptable exchange for "all the time" spent returning iPods. And let's be honest, here: We've all been to Apple Stores. We know how many employees they have working at once. A BOATLOAD. I can hardly go in to browse without being attacked by half an army of Apple Store salespeople. The worst part is that they assume I'm an uninformed Windows user when in reality, there's a good chance I know more about the Mac than they do.
Anyway, this still doesn't mean I'm convinced that Apple will release in December. Let's just say it gets here when it gets here.
-Clive
I think that for the most part people would be returning unopened iPods. Do you open your gifts before giving them?
LouieSamman
Apr 11, 11:43 PM
The home button is part of the mechanism for escaping crashes so it would be a bit dumb to have the means of escape software based' ie touch.Also it is useful for device orientation. Further, it is part of the iconic design. Were it to be lost the iPad would like like any other generic slab. I would be amazed and dissapointed if it turned out you were right on that one.
Insert the pigs!
They can always bring the home button to be a side button. Theres no need for it to take space in the front of the iPad. They could utilize the space with a thinner border and bigger screen without increase the size of the iPad.
Insert the pigs!
They can always bring the home button to be a side button. Theres no need for it to take space in the front of the iPad. They could utilize the space with a thinner border and bigger screen without increase the size of the iPad.
Krevnik
May 4, 01:08 PM
It's easier for them to do whole copies of the OS every time because people could go from iPhone OS 2.0 to iOS 4.3.3 if need be without having to patch to every subsequent release. It also cuts down on the risk of corruption.
The risk of corruption is the big one. Does nobody remember 1.1.1 anymore, and how the 1.x releases were patches? After finding out that they were getting backlash for the patch not playing nice with jailbreaks, they switched to full OS flashes.
The risk of corruption is the big one. Does nobody remember 1.1.1 anymore, and how the 1.x releases were patches? After finding out that they were getting backlash for the patch not playing nice with jailbreaks, they switched to full OS flashes.
jtara
Apr 13, 02:30 PM
In my post I was referring to megabytes not megabits. I get a solid 50megabits down and 10megabits up. I think this should be sufficient to get the system up and running with a possible upgrade in the future.
Sure, that sounds sufficient for your needs.
I assume this is "business" service. If not, best to check your contract to make sure your proposed usage is consistent with the contract terms. Asymmetric bandwidth often comes with a "no servers" policy.
Sure, that sounds sufficient for your needs.
I assume this is "business" service. If not, best to check your contract to make sure your proposed usage is consistent with the contract terms. Asymmetric bandwidth often comes with a "no servers" policy.

lilo777
Apr 28, 05:40 PM
For Tom Tom, the map data for the USA is divided into five sets of about 250-300 MB each. No problem at all. UK is about the same size.
The problem with off-line map data is that it does not get updated automatically and one has to pay for updates (about $70 for US maps for Garmin)
The problem with off-line map data is that it does not get updated automatically and one has to pay for updates (about $70 for US maps for Garmin)
AppleNewton
Jan 10, 12:01 PM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4113/jandesk.png
Affirmed
Apr 13, 03:19 PM
You must be new here. Just kidding.
Apple was first to bring realtime effects to a mainstream platform with motion as Motion used the GPU for effects. Eventually other large software houses followed suit. Problem is that Motion sucks in so many other ways it fell by the way side.
Now with Final Cut X Apple is leap frogging again with Grand Central Dispatch, etc. These speed advantages are a huge reason for some of the best editors in the world to stay onboard with final cut and buy more apple boxes - which cost about the same as a pc when you add the extra costs of 3rd party pc software and the like. Besides reliability is essential for editors and Macs have that in spades.
That's a bit disingenuous. Yes there are editors who use FCP. And yes many Avid editors also have an FCP license on their laptop or home computer as well. Why not, it's cheap and can use third party hardware.
When you compare actual employed editors who work in Film and Television, Avid is still king. Apple skews the numbers by comparing the amount of software sold, but it's better to look at the projects completed and see what tools were used.
The question is whether this new release and their strategy is going to continue to draw working editors away from Avid or just continue to be a great prosumer video editing tool that has gotten easier to use.
You can't evaluate the product based on an Apple pitch if you rely on your editing software for a living. How do you know it kicks out and accurate EDL? How do you know if it still kicks out solid OMF files to your sound designer?
Avid, Final Cut, Premiere, they are all just tools and you have to use the right tool for the job.
Apple was first to bring realtime effects to a mainstream platform with motion as Motion used the GPU for effects. Eventually other large software houses followed suit. Problem is that Motion sucks in so many other ways it fell by the way side.
Now with Final Cut X Apple is leap frogging again with Grand Central Dispatch, etc. These speed advantages are a huge reason for some of the best editors in the world to stay onboard with final cut and buy more apple boxes - which cost about the same as a pc when you add the extra costs of 3rd party pc software and the like. Besides reliability is essential for editors and Macs have that in spades.
That's a bit disingenuous. Yes there are editors who use FCP. And yes many Avid editors also have an FCP license on their laptop or home computer as well. Why not, it's cheap and can use third party hardware.
When you compare actual employed editors who work in Film and Television, Avid is still king. Apple skews the numbers by comparing the amount of software sold, but it's better to look at the projects completed and see what tools were used.
The question is whether this new release and their strategy is going to continue to draw working editors away from Avid or just continue to be a great prosumer video editing tool that has gotten easier to use.
You can't evaluate the product based on an Apple pitch if you rely on your editing software for a living. How do you know it kicks out and accurate EDL? How do you know if it still kicks out solid OMF files to your sound designer?
Avid, Final Cut, Premiere, they are all just tools and you have to use the right tool for the job.
robbieduncan
Sep 11, 05:03 PM
Basically what WinterMute said! If taking the light was good enough for the Australians when they were trying to win the game, then it's easily good enough for the English who only need to draw!
And as for complaining about the weather! I'm amazed there's been this much play in the series :D
And as for complaining about the weather! I'm amazed there's been this much play in the series :D
neildmitchell
Sep 12, 05:11 PM
Oh awesome - thanks for the information.
Both of my cuttings are on my inner biceps (sp?) - on the left is a "Chi" (18th letter of Hebrew alphabet - symbolizes life) which I got when I was having some problems with, well, living. On the right is a triple moon goddess symbol, which seemed appropriate given my witchcraft. Actually, this one is a bit more aesthetic to me as well - I got it because I like it and like it because it is what it is.
Glad to meet a Wiccan :)
Not personally into any forms of religion myself, but have looked into Wicca.
I am however more into metaphysical stuff. My latest adventure is in crystals and minerals. I shouldnt say newest, my interest in metaphysics started around the age of ten. Im not heavy full blown into it.
Both of my cuttings are on my inner biceps (sp?) - on the left is a "Chi" (18th letter of Hebrew alphabet - symbolizes life) which I got when I was having some problems with, well, living. On the right is a triple moon goddess symbol, which seemed appropriate given my witchcraft. Actually, this one is a bit more aesthetic to me as well - I got it because I like it and like it because it is what it is.
Glad to meet a Wiccan :)
Not personally into any forms of religion myself, but have looked into Wicca.
I am however more into metaphysical stuff. My latest adventure is in crystals and minerals. I shouldnt say newest, my interest in metaphysics started around the age of ten. Im not heavy full blown into it.
robbieduncan
Sep 12, 07:27 AM
I've now got the BBC Radio 5 stream running on my PC at work :D England are not in a great position but the scoring is good right now...
vksong
May 5, 07:01 AM
I have updated, hope the battery life will last longer!
location-tracking controversy is evil~
location-tracking controversy is evil~